While family life is undoubtedly hectic, it’s important to remember to take advantage of any opportunity to spend meaningful, fun time together.
In honor of August being National Family Fun Month, the Southern California Municipal Athletic Association has put together a great list of suggested activities for families to do together. As it says on their website, “there are so many options for families to really enjoy each other,” and those options include things “beyond watching television or playing video games together.” Here’s their list:
- Visit Your Local Park. When is the last time you and your family enjoyed a day at your local park? Research a local park as a family to visit for a picnic and pack your food basket and go. Don’t forget to bring a blanket and a Frisbee. Enjoy the day outdoors together as a family!
- Play Sports. Grab a ball, maybe a glove or a bat and go outside as a family to play some games. Don’t want to play your traditional types of sports? Try some fun games such as H.O.R.S.E., Around the World or Monkey in the Middle. Maybe you can make up your own type of game using existing sports equipment.
- Book Night! You don’t always have to leave the house to have fun. Take a trip to the local library and check out some books so you can huddle up with your family and read. You might want to include a longer novel where everyone can read a chapter or two, then have a snack, read a couple more, then talk about the book. Have a fun time with reading.
- Go Camping! Pack up your tents, sleeping bags and canteens and book a weekend camping trip with the family. Do some fishing, hiking or biking wherever you end up going. It is a great time to spend with the whole family. Don’t forget to bring the marshmallows!
- Visit an Amusement Park. What child wouldn’t want to spend a day at their favorite local amusement park? Select a day to take the family and go enjoy some rides, a water park, or just playing some games. Don’t forget to look for discount coupons at a local store or even online.
- Bake! Kids always love to help out in the kitchen when sweets are involved. Ask them what their favorite types of cookies or treats are. Go to the store a family to buy the ingredients and have some fun in the kitchen making your treats. After the work has been completed, enjoy your treats together as a family.
- Family Game Night. Who doesn’t love to play games? One person gets to pick out their favorite board or card game and have the whole family join in on the fun. Make some popcorn or buy some special game time snacks to enjoy while playing. Create your own family board game and play. You could even find a puzzle for the whole family to work on.
Just remember the purpose of Family Fun Month is to enjoy spending time together as a family because a family that spends time together has a blast together!