Join Stephanie Shaw, the new group facilitator and other local adoptive parents for this month’s meeting.
Any adoptive parent, whether they’re Adoption STAR clients or not, are welcome to join Making Connections. The goal of the group is to provide support and education to adoptive parents, with a specific focus on day-to-day parenting strategies.
The group meets at Adoption STAR (131 John Muir Drive, Amherst, NY 14228) on the 1st Thursday of every other month from 7:00pm to 8:30pm, so for the current month of March, this Thursday is the night! Walk-ins are welcome and no RSVP is necessary. Contact email@example.com for more information or to RSVP.
How can parenting an adopted child be different from parenting a birth child?
- Adoptive parents have to find a way to share hard truths with their children;
- Adoptive parents have to manage differences within their family;
- Adoptive parents ma have a relationship with their child’s birth family;
- Adoptive parents may grieve their losses and may need to help their children grieve their own losses;
- Adoptive parents have to deal differently with external systems like schools, pediatricians, lawyers, agencies, etc.;
- Adoptive parents may have to address issues of identity and development differently than biological parents.
Come take advantage of this opportunity to connect with other adoptive parents! Your entire family will be better off for doing so.