Adoptive parents and adoption professionals alike will benefit from attending the 26th annual New York State Citizens’ Coalition for Children (NYSCC) conference this May.
The NYSCCC’s 26th annual conference, entitled “Uniting Families,” is happening on May 8th and 9th, 2015 at the Albany Marriott Hotel in Albany, New York.
Susie Collins, Program Director at NYSCCC says that, “the NYSCCC conference is all about adoption and provides valuable resources and information for private, domestic, and international adoption agency staff and parents who represent a significant segment of our conference attendees. NYSCCC’s mission is to ensure a permanent, loving home for every child. We work hard to promote post adoption services and provide information, support, and advocacy services for any and all current and prospective adoptive families. Our annual adoption conference is one of the primary tools we use to support adoptive families of all kinds.”
Other conference goals include:
- Exploration and sharing of ideas, tools, and resources to form new families through adoption;
- Support reunification and connection with birth families;
- Create linkages between foster families;
- Build relationships between parents and agencies.
Nationally known speakers and 30 workshop presenters will be in attendance, all selected for their knowledge and expertise. These professionals will:
- Reflect upon their emotional and professional commitment to unifying families;
- Assist attendees in gaining perspective;
- Assist attendees in skill building;
- Help attendees learn to recognize and appreciate the positives, even in the midst of difficult situations/circumstances.
One such professional that will be in attendance at the conference is Heather Forbes, LCSW (who was also featured in an Adoption STAR blog post dated 3/11/15). Heather is a social worker and adoptive mother who is paving the way for change within families. She is, “committed to helping families and changing the false traditional interpretation of how to love and discipline children.”
Heather established Beyond Consequences Institute, LLC as a way to educate and provide resources for helping children with severe acting out behaviors. Her groundbreaking approach is NOT fear-based or child blaming, but IS focused on positivity and the long run.
Learn more about NYSCCC’s May conference here: NYSCCC 26th Annual Uniting Families Foster Care and Adoption Conference
Learn more about Heather Forbes here: Beyond Consequences Institute