Adoption STAR would like to wish everyone a Happy National Adoption Month! Many people know that National Adoption Month happens every November, but may not know the history of the month; Before there was National Adoption Month, there was Adoption Week in Massachusetts, which was started in 1976 by Governor Michael Dukakis. That same year, President Gerald Ford, announced that adoption week would be celebrated nationally.
In 1984 President Ronald Reagan proclaimed a “National Adoption Week” and nine years later, in 1995, President Bill Clinton, who was adopted himself, declared November as National Adoption Month.
National Adoption month is a time to spread adoption awareness and focus on children who are in need of forever families. Adoption STAR does its part by hosting many events during November. The agency is also invited into many schools and businesses to educate people of all ages on adoption. Lastly, Adoption STAR will be reading children’s books on adoption at local libraries and bookstores. For more information and/or to RSVP for any of these events, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, call (716)639-3900 or visit the event calendar on our website.
Adoption STAR National Adoption Month Events:
This weekend (Friday, November 2 – Saturday, November 3) Adoption STAR will be holding a weekend home study class in Buffalo, NY. Starting your adoption journey during National Adoption Month can add to what is already a memorable experience. The home study classes educate family’s on many adoption topics, including:
– Trans-racial adoption
– Open adoption
– Adoption law
– Speaking to your children about adoption
– Much, much more
– On Monday, November 5, Adoption STAR will be present at the AFCR Adoption Fair in Albany, NY. The event will take place at the Marriott Hotel (189 Wolf Rd. Albany, NY) from 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm. This event is a great place for prospective adoptive parents to meet with adoption professionals about the many different options for starting a family.
For more information on the Adoption Fair, please visit the official website
– Monday, November 12, Adoption STAR will be hosting a FREE orientation session in Albany at the Colonie Community Center (1653 Central Avenue, Albany, NY 12205) from 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm.
– Later that week, Adoption STAR will be hosting an orientation session in Buffalo on Thursday, November 15. The FREE orientation session will take place at the Adoption STAR office (131 John Muir Dr. Amherst, NY) from 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm.
These two orientation sessions are led by the experienced Adoption STAR staff and are a great way to have all of your questions answered and begin your adoption journey
– Tuesday, November 13, Adoption STAR staff members will be holding an “adoption story time” for children at the Lackawanna Library (560 Ridge Road Lackawanna, NY 14218) at 11 am. All families are welcome!
– The Adoption STAR Hair and Skin Care Workshop at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Amherst (6320 Main St. Williamsville) from 6:00 pm – 8 pm on Thursday, November 15. The class is designed specifically for families who have adopted trans-racially or are considering doing so. It will be taught by hair and skin care professionals and will educate you in the special hair and skin care necessary for Black and Bi-Racial children.
– On Sunday, November 18, Adoption STAR CEO and Founder, Michele Fried, along with staff members Zack Fried and Shannon Whalen, will be present at the APC Adoption Conference in New York City. The group will be facilitating workshops and will have an Adoption STAR information table set up. The conference will be held at St. Francis College in Brooklyn, NY (180 Remsen St.) from 9 am- 5 pm.
For more information on the conference, please visit the official website.
– On Tuesday, November 27, Adoption STAR staff members will be hosting an “adoption story time” for children at Monkey See Monkey Doo Book Store (9060 Main Street Clarence, NY 14031) at 11 am. All families are welcome.
– Adoption STAR will complete National Adoption Month back in Albany on Friday, November 30, and Saturday, December 1, for a two-day Home study weekend class. The class will be held at the Carondelet Hospitality Center (385 Watervliet Shaker Rd. Latham, NY 12110) from 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm on Friday and 9:00 am – 5:00 pm on Saturday.
For more information on any of our events, or to invite Adoption STAR into your child’s classroom or your place of business, please email email@example.com or call (716)639-3900. You can also visit the Adoption STAR Twitter page during the month of November for daily ideas on how you and your family can celebrate National Adoption Month.
Happy National Adoption Month everyone!