This morning at our weekly staff meeting, Adoption STAR CEO and Founder, Michele Fried, challenged all of us to pick an activity and to do it for the next thirty days. Michele got the idea from the video of Matt Cutts, which you can watch below. In the video, Cutts talks about finding small ways to challenge himself each month. Some of them stuck; like riding a bike to work, and some of them fizzled; like not consuming sugar for 30 days.
The entire staff was told to think for a week about what challenge they’d like to accept for the next 30 days. Some examples are:
– Draw a picture every day for 30 days
– Run one mile each day for 30 days
– Write a journal or diary entry every day for 30 days
– Read for 20 minutes every day for 30 days
There are so many other great examples, but in the end it’s up to us to pick something we’re interested in but have always put on the back burner.
I’ve got to tell you, I’m pretty excited. We found out about this activity about one hour ago and I’ve come up with no less then 10 different challenges for the next month.
Some of the most interesting to me have been:
– Practice the guitar every day for 30 minutes – My acoustic guitar has been sitting in the corner of my room for at least four months. I would love to be able to play an acoustic version of the Beatles “Rocky Raccoon.”
– Spend 15 minutes studying Italian language flash cards every day – I would love to travel through Europe at some point and the two countries I am most excited to visit are England and Italy. England (more specficically Liverpool) to soak in the roots of my favorite band, The Beatles; and Italy because of the food, architecture, and culture.
-Spend 30 minutes per day writing a movie/television script – This is not something that would be complete in 30 days, but it’s something that I’ve always wanted to do. Even if the script never see’s the light of the day, it would be a great accomplishment to complete a full script. I have at least five half-written scripts saved somewhere.
This will be a fun challenge for everyone at Adoption STAR and we are inviting anyone else who would like to join us to do so! Pick an activity, any activity that you want, and challenge yourself to do it for thirty consecutive days. As Cutts says in his speech “It turns out, 30 days is just about the right amount of time needed to add a new habit or subtract a habit.”
I will update everyone next week with what everyone chose as their challenge and once the challenge has started there will be weekly updates on how everyone is doing. We hope you will choose an activity for yourself and follow along. Feel free to leave your updates in the comment section each week!