Question – “I waited through infertility. I have to wait for our home study to be finished, and then I have to wait for a baby to be placed with us or a birth mother to select us. Do you have any advice for waiting?”
Adoption STAR advocates that you continue to educate yourself about adoption and all of your options to become a parent as you wait, including:
- Join the agency’s adoption support group
- Get to know other adoptive families, birth families, and adoptees
- Network with friends, family, and associates
- Attend agency and support group functions
- Update your profile as needed
- Establish a timeline and re-evaluate your adoption plan at desired intervals (so as to decide what you want to do differently and when you want to do this).
- Remember that adoption works, but you must have faith, as there is the potential for disappointment along the way
If you remain diligent and constantly re-evaluate your plans and options, you will most likely become an adoptive parent. It may be directly through Adoption STAR, but it may not. As a result, it is important to carefully explore all of your options.